PETERSBURG, Va. (WRIC) — Petersburg police said they are conducting a death investigation in the city after a 12-year-old boy was shot earlier Tuesday morning.
Authorities said officers responded to a shooting at the 1700 block of Buckner Street in Petersburg at 10:22 a.m.
One neighbor, who lives on the street that the shooting took place, said he’s never seen that kind of scene in his neighborhood. Roosevelt Washington said he went outside that morning for fresh air and didn’t expect to be met with yellow tape on his neighbor’s home.
“I know how hurt the family is because I have a son, a young boy that is in high school, and I know how they might feel,” he said.
Washington said you truly never know what can happen outside your own front door.
“The family’s bound in the house, and now they gotta face another tragedy,” Washington said. “My condolence truly goes out to that family, because it could be my child.”
Police say this is an active investigation and there is no other information available at this time.
Stay with 8News for updates.
- Virginia Department of Health launches new ‘Pandemic Metrics’ dashboard
- Northrop Grumman to launch toilet, radishes and more into space
- Get in the holiday ‘spirit’ with Sam’s Club’s new wine advent calandar
- Game 1 of Astros-Twins to lead off MLB playoff coverage on ABC
- Trump claims he paid ‘millions’ in taxes despite returns showing he paid $750 in 2016, no taxes some years