HAMPTON, Va. (WAVY) — Hampton police are conducting a death investigation after a child was killed in an apparent dog attack early Monday morning.
Police said they were called to the first block of Scotland Road around 3:15 a.m. for the attack and found the child and dog, a German shepherd mix, dead.
Investigators say the child had injuries that were consistent with a canine attack. The preliminary investigation showed the infant and their parents were sleeping in the same bed when they were awakened by a large amount of motion. Police say the child’s father observed the “extensive injuries” to the child and immediately “euthanized” the canine.
Police are still investigating and say the parents are fully cooperating. The dog had not been previously aggressive, the family says.
More Crime Coverage From 8News
- GRENADA, Miss. (WJTV) – The Grenada Police Department is investigating after 11 people were shot at a biker club early Sunday morning, according to the Delta Democrat Times. Authorities from the Grenada Police Department and the Grenada County Sheriff’s Department responded to multiple shots fired at SSMC Biker Club on Highway 8 East shortly after […]
- An unknown gunman fired into a crowd gathered at a Saturday afternoon burial service of a teenager who was fatally shot by a Florida sheriff's deputy earlier this month, officials said.
- A 27-year-old man is suspected of drunk driving after a head-on collision injured two children in his car and killed a 70-year-old driver of another vehicle.
- Police in Maine have arrested a man accused of killing his father’s cat with a frying pan on Thanksgiving.
- The Petersburg Police Department is investigating a shooting with one injury in the 700 block of Independence Avenue. The victim was taken to a Richmond hospital by air lift.
- According to NYSP, there were multiple reports of the suspect driver intentionally attempting to hit other vehicles.
- A woman's body was found in the water in Ocean View Friday afternoon, Norfolk Police said.
- A man has been arrested for robbing two grocery stores in Henrico's west end this month. According to the Henrico Police Department, during each robbery the suspect would give the cashier a note and escape with money.
- Chesterfield County and Colonial Heights Crime Solvers is asking for the public's help to find two fugitives this week.
- A 'porch pirate' was caught on camera this week in Richmond. The perpetrator? Someone dressed as an Amazon delivery driver.