RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — The Richmond Police Department has released initial information after the suspect in a Friday shooting was himself shot by police on the city’s Northside.

You can watch the full police press conference below:

Interim Chief Edwards said that at 10:39 a.m. officers responded to a reported shooting on Evergreen Avenue in the city’s southside. There, they found a woman unresponsive with a gunshot wound.

She was taken to a hospital and later died of her wounds.

At 11:09 a.m., officers on the 4200 block of North Avenue — who had been given a description of the suspect and his vehicle — saw his car and exited their vehicles. Edwards said the two officers fired at the man “within a second or two” of exiting their cruiser. The suspect was struck and injured by the gunfire.

According to Richmond Police, officers at the scene rendered aid to the injured suspect.

The man has not yet been identified publicly by police, but is in his 60’s and is currently being treated for his gunshot wounds. His injuries are considered life threatening.

“The suspect is still alive and hopefully will survive this encounter and be put on trial for this incident,” Edwards said.

Friday’s shooting has left neighbors feeling disturbed. Cynthia Armstrong, who lives and works near the North Avenue shooting site, is furious to see gunfire coming from police in her community.

“This is wrong. Why is the enemy attacking our hood?” Armstrong said. “This is not the way to perform city services when you’re supposed to be protecting the community.”

Edwards confirmed that, per standard procedure, the officers involved were placed on administrative leave.

The interim chief also said the department not prepared to release more information about why the officers decided to fire, but said they had positively identified the vehicle as the one belonging to the suspect in the earlier shooting.

Police reported that a firearm belonging to the suspect was recovered at the scene, but did not say whether the man was brandishing it at the time of the shooting.

Edwards added that there was both body cam and security footage of the police confronting the suspect, and that they were currently reviewing that footage.

For Armstrong, she sees Friday’s shooting as an attack to the community she and others in the area have worked so hard to foster.

“That’s what I did all my life, raise the community,” Armstrong said. “And for them [Richmond police] to think so less of themself to do that at my place of employment for 40 years. Best Food Market. At this apartment complex right here. For 40 years? That’s unacceptable.”

These incidents remain under investigation. Anyone with information is asked to contact Major Crimes Detective M. Young at 804-646-3926.

This is a developing story, stay with 8News for updates.