RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — Richmond Police are investigating a shooting that claimed the life of Chae’Meshia Simms, a transgender woman in her 30’s.
According to authorities, Simms was found in a vehicle, that had collided with a garage in an alley, suffering from a gunshot wound.
Officers responded to a call on the 800 block of Cheatwood Avenue for the report of a vehicle colliding into a structure around 5:42 a.m. Monday.
Simms’ body was taken to the Medical Examiner who will determine the cause and manner of death.
Anyone with information is asked to call Major Crimes Detective M. Godwin at (804) 646-5533 or Crime Stoppers at (804) 780-1000.
More Crime Coverage From 8News
- The girlfriend and friend of the man killed in a hit-and-run Friday night along Berwyn Street are demanding justice for his death.
- The Virginia State Police said they arrested a 17-year-old boy after he led troopers on a high-speed chase in a stolen car on Monday morning that ended in a vehicle crash.
- The man allegedly told authorities the gun belonged to his wife and he didn't know he had her gun with him. He arrested and faces a fine.
- The Petersburg Bureau of Police said a 14-year-old was grazed by a bullet Sunday evening.
- A Richmond-area musician is looking for the public's help after the tool most important to his line of work was stolen: his cello.
- The Chesterfield County Police Department has requested a juvenile petition for an 11-year-old male who allegedly called in a bomb threat to Salem Church Middle School on April 16.
- Police in Fredericksburg have arrested a Stafford man who fired a gun during a fight early Sunday morning.
- The Chesterfield County/Colonial Heights Crime Solvers are searching for a credit card fraud suspect and a credit card theft suspect.
- The Richmond Police Department found a man shot near Pollard Park on Friday afternoon.
- Two men from the Chesterfield area are facing multiple charges for a February incident that left one man dead in Richmond.