Shooting suspect apprehended after chase that shut down I-64 for hours


HENRICO COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — A suspect is in custody after a fatal shooting, vehicle theft and police chase through Henrico County overnight. 

It all started at around 10 p.m. on Sunday. Police responded to a shooting call at Brothers Market convenient store on East Nine Mile Road, near Hanover Road.

When officers arrived, they found a man, later identified as 33-year-old Stephen Powell, of Henrico, dead inside a vehicle.

8News spoke with a resident who heard the shooting from his apartment.

“It’s pretty close, I hear them pretty loud. I was just hanging out in my apartment,” Michael Campasini recalled. “It’s not the first time I’ve heard gunshots in the area, so I really didn’t think anything of it.”

About an hour later, police responded to a breaking and entering call nearby at Temp Power. When officers arrived, they saw a truck had been stolen. Police issued a “be on the lookout” call for that truck.

Officers eventually found the truck on Glenside Drive, where the pursuit then began.

At one point during the chase, police put a device on the road to flatten the tires of the stolen truck. The tactic eventually worked and the suspect crashed the truck when trying to make a U-turn on I-64 east near I-295.

The suspect then got out of the truck, fired at police and ran into the woods. Police did not fire back at the suspect.

The suspect was arrested around 3:45 a.m. on Monday.

Police later linked the shooting and vehicle theft together, and identified the suspect as 23-year-old Branden Dalay, of North Chesterfield. 

Dalay was charged with second-degree murder, use of a firearm in commission of a felony, burglary and grand larceny.

While the chase was happening, several businesses in the area were placed on lockdown.

A mechanic at Bowl America told 8News that customers and employees were not able to leave the bowling alley until around 2 a.m.

“It was more of an inconvenience to the customers and employees because they had to stay there and then the police had to walk the customers to their cars one-by-one,” Don Flaherty said.

Police say the investigation is ongoing and additional charges against the suspect are pending.

Stay with 8News for updates.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

StormTracker 8

Trending Stories

More Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Local Events