RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — The jury trial for the third suspect arrested in connection to the murder of a 9-year-old Richmond girl has been rescheduled for January 2021.
The trial was rescheduled back in August.
The court has been postponing jury trials due to the coronavirus outbreak. A member of the 8News team talked to an attorney unrelated to the case who said the court is postponing all jury trials until next year.
Jesus Turner has been charged with murder, two counts of malicious wounding and three counts of the use of a firearm in the commission of a felony.
In May of 2019, Markiya Dickson was struck by a stray bullet while at a Memorial Day cookout with her family in Carter Jones Park. Dickson later died at the hospital. An 11-year-old boy and a man survived after being hit in the crossfire.
Quinshawn Betts and Jermaine Davis, were also charged with murder, two counts of malicious wounding and three counts of the use of a firearm in the commission of a felony.
Turner was charged 6 weeks after the other two suspects after a relentless pursuit by police.
In January 2020, a judge denied Turner bond, saying the crime was too egregious for him to be let off.
Turners new trial date is set for Jan. 26 and Jan. 27, 2020.
More Crime Coverage From 8News
- Chesterfield County and Colonial Heights Crime Solvers is asking for the public's help to find two fugitives this week.
- A 'porch pirate' was caught on camera this week in Richmond. The perpetrator? Someone dressed as an Amazon delivery driver.
- A body found in Florida Wednesday is presumed to be that of a missing Massachusetts teenager, according to the Bristol County District Attorney's Office.
- Domestic violence survivor speaks out as officials say pandemic & holidays create perfect storm for violenceDomestic violence calls are up around the holidays and police say the pandemic is making matters worse.
- HOLY CROP! Deputies seek a Powhatan man accused of trespassing with an ATV and destroying crops.
- Petersburg police need the public's help identifying a suspect linked to an aggravated assault.
- Before a day of giving thanks, Virginia State Police is asking locals, in kind, to slow down, wear a seatbelt and don't drive distracted.
- Richmond police have identified as suspect in a Hull Street homicide earlier this month. Authorities are hoping the public can help reveal his whereabouts.
- LYNCHBURG, Va. (WFXR) — Police say a Richmond man faces several charges — including a murder charge — after a person was found dead at a Lynchburg motel Tuesday evening. The Lynchburg Police Department says officers responded to a reported shooting at the Super 8 Motel at 3736 Candlers Mountain Road around 7:15 p.m. on […]
- Five people are wanted for using counterfeit bills to make purchases at a Walmart.