RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — Richmond Police are investigating a robbery at a 7-Eleven on West Grace Street near VCU.
An alert was sent out to students and staff at 6:20 a.m. to avoid the area near the 1000 bock of W. Grace St. VCU said a short time later that the ‘situation was resolved,’ though police remain on scene investigating.
According to police, a female entered the store at 6:10 a.m., approached the cashier and demanded money. The woman then removed cash from the register and fled the store in a light-colored sedan.
The woman is described as a 25-year-old, 5-foot-5 black female who was wearing a grey or blue hoodie, pajama pants and sunglasses.
“The VCU Police would like to remind students, in particular, to keep personal safety in mind. There are certain things you need to be aware of when living in an urban environment. Crimes may occur in our community, and the best defense is to be prepared and to take responsibility for your own safety and for that of your friends and fellow students.”
VCU Police also issued the following reminders:
- If you find yourself in a similar situation, do not resist. Cooperate.
- Be the best witness possible. The information you provide police will help them identify the suspect(s). Focus on their physical characteristics, clothing description, height, weight, hairstyle and the last direction they were headed.
- Do not make sudden and unexpected moves.
- If the suspect claims to have a weapon, never try to force the bluff.
- Trust your instincts about a person or situation. Always choose safety over courtesy.
- Never try to apprehend the criminal yourself.
- Find a safe location and call the police immediately.
- Look for and use an Emergency Reporting Telephone. A VCU Police dispatcher will directly answer the call. They are located on the exterior of VCU buildings and at each parking deck and lot. (Note: Phones may be yellow or blue in some locations.)
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times. Do not let cell phone conversations, earbuds, music or texting keep you from paying attention while traveling the area.
- Avoid secluded areas such as alleyways and dimly lit streets.
- Walk around large crowds instead of through them.
- Be very cautious if someone tries to stop or distract you; a suspect may ask, “Do you have a cigarette?” or “Can I use your phone?”
- If you can do so, safely and discreetly use the LiveSafe app to snap a picture and send it to the VCU Police Department
Check back for updates.