WENTWORTH, N.C. (AP) — A North Carolina sheriff’s office has charged a Virginia woman with fatally injuring her 3-month-old son.
News outlets report Shantiequa Renea Woods, of Danville, Virginia, was booked into jail Friday on first-degree murder and felony child abuse charges.
Rockingham County Sheriff’s Office investigators allege the 30-year-old fatally injured the baby, Isaiah Woods, while he was staying with her in Ruffin, North Carolina, last week.
The agency wrote in a statement that the child had suffered blunt force trauma to his head and torso.
The baby was taken to a hospital Thursday night where he was pronounced dead.
- U.S. News U.S. ‘wasted’ months before preparing for virus pandemic
- In years before outbreak, investment in public health shrunk
- Virginia Beach putting homeless in hotels to blunt virus
- Coronavirus skeptic gains new perspective after being hospitalized with it
- Another cruise ship with virus victims docking in Florida