POWHATAN COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — The Powhatan County School Board voted to ban the Confederate flag on school property during a meeting Tuesday night.
The vote means students will no longer be allowed to wear clothing with Confederate symbols to school. Clothing with swastikas or KKK references will also be banned.
The Student’s Rights and Responsibilities document was updated for the 2020-21 school year. Based on the language, “Written or graphic material which is posted or circulated and which intimidates or threatens individuals based on their race, national origin, disability, or religion,” will be prohibited.
The prohibition does not apply to educational materials used in an appropriate manner for instruction.
WATCH THE FULL POWHATAN COUNTY SCHOOL BOARD MEETING BELOW:
- StormTracker8: The heat is on the way back to the area.
- Daredevil Alex Harvill dies while attempting world-record motorcycle jump
- Missing 5-year-old Summer Wells’ dad thinks ‘someone snuck up on her and grabbed her’
- UPDATE: Fourth shooting victim located in Petersburg tonight, police without suspect information
- Portland officers resign en masse from squad tasked with protest response