Hanover toddler who choked on popcorn kernel dies


HANOVER COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — Mirranda Grace Lawson, the 2-year-old Hanover County girl who had been on life support since she choked on a popcorn kernel in May, has died.

VCU Medical Center confirmed that she died on November 1.

VCU Medical Center and the young girl’s family have been involved in a legal battle for months. The family did not want doctors to perform a brain apnea test, which would have determined if the two-year-old was brain dead, in fear that it would harm her.

Monday afternoon, the hospital released the following statement regarding her death:

We extend our deepest sympathies to the Lawson family as they grieve Mirranda Grace’s death. During the several months Mirranda was at our hospital, we saw the Lawson’s enduring love and support of their daughter in dealing with the tragedy. Mirranda’s medical team demonstrated the highest-levels of quality and compassionate care for her and her family. Our thoughts and best hopes remain with the Lawsons. — VCU Medical Center

This is a developing story. Stay with 8News online and on air for the latest updates.

Never miss another Facebook post from 8News

Find 8News on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram; send your news tips toiReport8@wric.com.

Copyright 2022 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

More Trending Stories

Local Events