House fire displaces 2 in Henrico County

News
fiiirrrr_254442

HENRICO COUNTY, Va (WRIC) — No one was injured after a house caught fire in the 600 block of Savannah Ave off Meadowbridge Road Monday evening.

Units arrived on scene shortly within several minutes of the initial report to find a two-story home with heavy smoke and fire coming from the second-story windows. Firefighters entered the home to search for possible victims while also pulling hose lines. They made their way to the second floor where they extinguished the fire and cleared the search.

No occupants were in the home at the time of the incident, which was marked under control within 30 minutes. The fire was determined to be accidental, resulting from an overloaded extension cord.

The two displaced occupants will be using the Red Cross to assist them with lodging and other immediate needs.

According to the Electrical Safety Foundation International, roughly 3,300 home fires originate in extension cords each year, killing 50 people and injuring about 270 more. In the wake of this incident, Henrico Fire reminds everyone that extension cords should be adequately sized for the load that they’re expected to carry, and should not be used long-term in place of permanently-installed wiring.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

StormTracker 8

Trending Stories

More Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Local Events