Local News

'He was so precious': Baby dies after being left in hot car outside Domino's Pizza in Emporia

EMPORIA, Va. (WRIC) -- A infant died after being left in a hot car in Emporia on Friday.

Authorities say the incident happened at a Domino's Pizza parking lot located in the 200 block of Market Drive. 

According to Emporia Chief of Police Rick Pinksaw, officers located 6-month-old Dameer Curry not breathing around 9:10 p.m.  Pinksaw tells 8News that the mother of the infant, 30-year-old Blondia Curry, is an assistant manager of Dominio's Pizza. 

Officers attempted CPR prior to the Greensville County Volunteer Rescue Squad arriving at the scene. The toddler was transported to Southside Regional Medical Center where he was pronounced dead. 

"It appears through the course of our investigation, that the child was left in the vehicle for an extended period of time," Pinksaw said. "It's a tragic situation."

Police say further information will be released as it becomes available. Charges are pending and an investigation is ongoing. 

8News spoke to the boy's mother, Blondia Curry. When 8News asked her how she could've left her baby in the car, she replied, "I've been asking myself the same question." She went on to say, "my mind wasn't right."

Curry also had advice for other parents: "Do not overwork yourself." 

"I loved my baby," Curry added. "I know my baby is in a better place."

The news comes days after a toddler died after being left in a hot car in Goochland County on Wednesday. The child was left at Capital One's West Creek complex and involved one of the company's contracted employees. 

Curry and her family spent Monday morning at Pearson and Son Funeral Services as they plan the funeral of the 6-month old. Curry spoke with 8News about her tragic loss. 

"He was so precious. I am telling you I loved my baby to death," Curry said. 

Friday night, the child died at a local hospital after he was left in a car for hours while Curry worked.

"I really just forgot to drop the baby off," Curry said. 

Curry told 8News that Friday was her first day back at work since spending time in the hospital with her 13-year old daughter who was recently diagnosed with diabetes. 

"I didn't get no break or anything," Curry said. "We were so busy that night."

"I keep asking myself a thousand times how did I forget my baby, but I knew it was because my mind wasn't right at the time," Curry told 8News. 

After work, Curry found Dameer still in the car seat. 

"I was like I have to go pick the baby up," Curry remembered. "And I was like I didn't drop the baby off."

She pulled her son from the car and called 911. A customer at the store attempted CPR. 

"I kept putting water on him because he felt so hot," said Curry. 

No charges have been filed as the decision will be made by the Commonwealth's Attorney's Office. 8News spoke with Patty Watson, the Commonwealth's Attorney, who said no charges will be filed against Curry as authorities are waiting on the autopsy results.  

A GoFundMe page for the Curry family has been set up. 

Local Headlines

Latest News

Latest Local News

Video Center