BRUNSWICK COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — Authorities say two men were killed from carbon monoxide poisoning after their UTV got stuck in two feet of water in Brunswick County.
The two men have been identified by authorities as Robert Lee Powers, Jr., 58, from Rawlings and Andrew Scott Cheely, 48, from Dundas.
The Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office received a call reporting the accident around 1:20 a.m. on Feb. 16. It happened off of Red Oak Road in the Alberta area, about two miles from Red Oak-Sturgeon Elementary School.
According to the sheriff’s office, Powers and Cheely were a part of a group of people who went to a party at a hunt club. Two UTV’s crossed a creek, but a third UTV carrying Powers and Cheely got stuck in the water, the sheriff’s office said. The others in the group returned later and found the two men dead.
Authorities believe that the exhaust to the UTV was blocked due to the height of the creek, causing carbon monoxide to enter the cab of the UTV that was fully enclosed.
The bodies were transported to the medical examiner’s office to confirm the cause of death.