CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — Police are investigating a two-vehicle crash in Chesterfield County on Thursday that killed one person and has closed a portion of Genito Road in all directions.
Police said a Honda sedan was going eastbound on Genito Road when it crossed the westbound lane. The sedan then went into a ditch before going back on the road and striking a Jeep traveling west. Investigators believe speed could have been a factor in the crash.
A Chesterfield Fire & EMS spokesperson told 8News that there was one fatality and one person was sent to the hospital. Police confirmed that the driver of the Honda, later identified as 23-year-old Cameron Smith, died at the scene.
The driver of Jeep suffered “what appeared to be non-life threatening injuries,” according to police.
Stay with 8News for updates to this developing story.
- ‘It’s been humbling’; Virginia National Guard members share experiences ahead of Inauguration Day
- Stripped of committee post after letter to Pence, Virginia GOP delegate says he’s mulling legal action
- Women to wear pearls, Converse on Inauguration Day in Harris’ honor
- Movement is ‘only just beginning,’ President Trump says in farewell address
- VA House passes bill to keep some pandemic election changes; Republican leader casts doubt on process