Discarded smoking materials caused fire that raged through Chesterfield home

Chesterfield County

House fire forces family of four out of their home

CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — A house fire that forced a Chesterfield family of four out of their home Thursday night has been deemed accidental.

Emergency crews responded to a large house fire in the 10200 block of N. Donegal Drive just after 8 p.m. Arriving crews found a two-story home with visible flames and heavy smoke showing.

Jason Elmore, of Chesterfield Fire & EMS, told 8News two adults, two children and two pets made it out the home safely. The family is being assisted by the American Red Cross.

To combat the flames, firefighters used a water shuttle operation as a result of no hydrants in the area. It took fire crews about two hours to fully extinguish the flames.

The Chesterfield County Fire Marshal’s Office determined the fire was accidental, caused by discarded smoking materials placed into a flower pot on the rear deck of the home.

Fire officials used this incident as a reminder to residents “to extinguish all smoking materials in a proper receptacle such as a metal bucket filled with water or sand to ensure full extinguishment.”

LATEST STORIES:

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

StormTracker 8

Trending Stories

More Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Local Events