UPDATE — All lanes have been reopened.
CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — A crash on Interstate 95 caused traffic backups in Chesterfield Friday morning.
According to the Virginia Department of Transportation, the crash occurred around mile marker 71, near Bells Road. The southbound left shoulder, left lane and center lane were closed due to the crash. VDOT reported traffic backups reaching 4.5 miles as of 7:53 a.m.
In an unrelated incident around the same time as the crash, Virginia State Police responded to an incident in which a dump truck lost its load of wet concrete nearby the crash site, between the 71 and 70-mile marker.
All southbound lanes were closed around 8:40 a.m. for a sweeper truck to remove the wet concrete from the road. Alternating lanes were closed for several hours thereafter to clean the mess.
- ‘Big change coming’: COVID-era SNAP benefits expiring
- Sean Payton returns to coaching, agrees to deal with Denver Broncos: reports
- Police say murder of Midlothian teen was not random, family speaks out
- Sen. Morrissey suspended from jail after leaving children unattended, according to Henrico Sheriff
- Democrats introduce airline passenger protections after Southwest meltdown