CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — Two people are without a home following a house fire in Midlothian, which drew a heavy response from first responders in Chesterfield.

The Chesterfield County Fire Marshal’s Office determined the fire was accidental, caused by an electrical malfunction around an outlet in the master bedroom.

Firefighters were called to extinguish a blaze in the 4400 block of Fountain View Drive just after 5 p.m. Monday. Arriving crews encountered a multi-story home with heavy fire and smoke showing.

Officials at the scene told 8News the homeowner was out on his boat and as he was returning, saw flames visible from the back of the house.

David Hengle, a neighbor who has known the homeowner for 15 years, said he noticed the flames while washing dishes. Hengle ran towards the blaze to seek out his friend, prior to crews arriving on scene.

David Hengle

“It went from just white smoke to brown, to black, and then it was just engulfed,” Hengle said. “You know big, black, cloud fulls of smoke, and that’s what forced me you know you have to run, you have to go see what’s going on.”

Hengle checked the garage and around the fence in search of the homeowner.

“You’re running around in a panic, you know, the house is on fire, you’re just thinking, get everybody out of the house safely,” Hengle said.

Flames stretched more than 30 feet. Stephanie Moseley, who was in the area, called Monday’s blaze a horrific scene.

Stephanie Moseley

“When I got closer to the neighborhood I could see all these flames that were just up to the heavens, it was so high,” Moseley said. “I’d never seen anything like that before so it’s kind of scary.”

Conley Hudson was nearby when the fire ignited and told 8News “I was actually kind of surprised by how much flames there were in the area and how much water was going on it. I know it’s fire, but it was a lot of flames.”

Conley Hudson

The fire was placed under control just before 6:15 p.m. No injuries were reported. Once the homeowner saw the blaze, fire officials say he ran inside to save his dog.