CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — Two local sheriff’s offices are mourning the unexpected passing of one of their own. Javier Smith served as the Charles City County Sheriff for eight years and more recently served as a Sheriff’s deputy in Chesterfield County.
According to a Facebook post from Chesterfield Sheriff Karl Leonard, Smith’s death on Saturday night was not expected. Leonard says Smith was a Circuit Court “staple.” Leonard asks that community members pray for Smith’s wife and children.
The Charles City County Sheriff’s Office also made a post in remembrance of Smith and his time with their office.
- Missing man from New Jersey could be in Richmond, authorities sayHAVE YOU SEEN HIM? Local authorities are searching for a missing man from New Jersey who could be in the Richmond area.
- New poll shows 20% of Black voters in Virginia have no political affiliation days before electionWith less than four days until the 2020 election, a new poll from Virginia State University (VSU) shows Black Virginia voters are not pleased with the current state of politics in the commonwealth.
- Virginia voters, legislators split on redistricting amendmentSome Virginia lawmakers oppose the amendment. They believe it gives legislators more power to choose voters as opposed to voters choosing legislators.
- Men arrested for armed robbery at Super 8 Motel in ChesterfieldChesterfield authorities have arrested two men in relation to the robbery at Super 8 Motel
- Northam directs $30 million in CARES Act money to provide scholarships to unemployed VirginiansVirginia is allocating $30 million in federal CARES Act money to fund an initiative that will provide scholarships to unemployed residents who will enroll in a community college or workforce program focused on health care, information technology, public safety, skilled trades and early childhood education, Gov. Ralph Northam announced Friday.
- Man fatally shoots wife, kills himself inside Spotsylvania County hospital roomThe Spotsylvania County Sheriff’s Office said Friday that two people are dead after a shooting inside a hospital room on the fourth floor of Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center. Authorities do not believe anyone at the hospital or nearby area are in danger.