CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — Three people, including a child, have been forced from their home after a fire destroyed their two-story house in Chesterfield on Thursday evening.

Shortly before 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, March 16, Chesterfield Fire and EMS crews arrived at the 8200 block of Nashua Drive for a reported house fire. Crews on the scene reported fire coming from the roof and that the home was “heavily involved” with fire.

According to authorities, the fire was brought under control after approximately 40 minutes.

Chesterfield Fire called the home “a total loss.” The house next door also sustained exterior damage from the heat.

Two adults and one child were displaced in the fire. They are being assisted by family, according to Chesterfield Fire.

No civilian or firefighter injuries were reported. 

An investigation by the Chesterfield Fire Marshal’s Office revealed that the fire was accidental and caused by “improperly discarded smoking materials.”

In light of this fire, the Chesterfield Fire Marshal’s Office is reminding residents to use a proper container — like a metal container filled with sand — to dispose of cigarettes and other smoking materials. According to Chesterfield Fire, the department responds to several fires every year as a result of cigarettes being disposed of in flowerpots or gardens. Because potting soil consists of ground-up peat containing wood, under the right conditions it can ignite.

This is a developing story. Stay with 8News for updates.