CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — The Chesterfield County Sheriff’s office said an inmate died in the county’s jail early Sunday morning.
Officials have identified the inmate as George Adams III, 46, of Richmond, Va. Adams was committed to the jail on Feb. 10, 2020, and was serving a combined 26-month sentence for three probation violations.
The office said at 5:22 a.m. Sept. 27, Chesterfield deputies and medical personnel responded to an inmate in the Chesterfield County Jail after his cell mate said he was in medical distress.
Medical staff immediately performed emergency medical procedures such as CPR on Adams until Chesterfield Fire and EMS personnel arrived and took over. Adams was later pronounced dead by first responders.
Chesterfield Police Department and Chesterfield Sheriff’s Office detectives are conducting a joint investigation into the death, which is the standard protocol. His body has been taken to the State Medical Examiner’s office to determine the cause of death.
- 1,200 free coat drive aims to help Stafford County students keep warm
- Hurricane Zeta brings rain to RVA on Thursday and Friday
- Disabled veterans explain tax break amendment on Virginia ballot
- Henrico board members approve emergency changes to four ‘at-risk’ polling locations to protect seniors
- Man accused of stealing vehicle with baby inside sought by Richmond police