CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — A worker who was hit by a vehicle while picking up recyclables in Chesterfield died from his injuries at the hospital Thursday, police said.
According to an email from a police spokeswoman, a recycling truck was traveling in the 9800 block of River Road just before 2 p.m. when it stopped to allow a worker to pick up recyclables in the area.
A vehicle that was passing the truck hit the worker, who was taken to an area hospital with life-threatening injuries. The worker, identified as 57-year-old Matthew L. Pitchford, died at the hospital.
The driver of the vehicle remained at the scene and an investigation is ongoing, police said.
Stay with 8News for updates.
- Coronavirus update: Lowest number of cases reported in Virginia since October
- StormTracker8: Warm up begins today
- Thieves swipe woman’s 500-pound safe filled with treasures, including lock of Alexander Hamilton’s hair
- ‘We had a guardian angel’: Woman impaled by tree limb has 7 broken ribs, husband says
- Soul of RVA: Richmond Black Restaurant Experience