CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — A worker who was hit by a vehicle while picking up recyclables in Chesterfield died from his injuries at the hospital Thursday, police said.
According to an email from a police spokeswoman, a recycling truck was traveling in the 9800 block of River Road just before 2 p.m. when it stopped to allow a worker to pick up recyclables in the area.
A vehicle that was passing the truck hit the worker, who was taken to an area hospital with life-threatening injuries. The worker, identified as 57-year-old Matthew L. Pitchford, died at the hospital.
The driver of the vehicle remained at the scene and an investigation is ongoing, police said.
Stay with 8News for updates.
- Hurricane Zeta brings rain to RVA on Thursday and Friday
- Disabled veterans explain tax break amendment on Virginia ballot
- Henrico board members approve emergency changes to four ‘at-risk’ polling locations to protect seniors
- Man accused of stealing vehicle with baby inside sought by Richmond police
- Chesterfield School Board asks community for input on elementary school name