DINWIDDIE COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — Authorities in Dinwiddie County are investigating a suspicious death Wednesday after a body was found along a roadside in the morning. Foul play is expected.
According to the Dinwiddie County Sheriff’s Office, the body of a white male was located near the Town of McKenney in the southern portion of the county, around one mile south on Rainey Creek Road, off of Highway 40. The body was found in a ditch by someone walking in the area. Deputies said the call came in some time between 7 a.m. and 8 a.m.
8News spoke with a woman who lives near where the body was discovered. She told 8News two women who frequent the roadway for morning walks came across the dead body.
She called one of the women and passed along a request from 8News for an interview. The woman, who did not want to be identified, says that the two women didn’t feel comfortable speaking about the “traumatizing find” at this time.
The person found dead, who has not yet been identified, is believed to be in his mid-20s to 30s, the Dinwiddie County Sheriff’s Office said.
The body was taken to the medical examiner’s office in Richmond in order to determine the cause of death, the sheriff’s office said. 8News asked if there were any signs of trauma. Our request has not yet been answered.
Anyone with information about this incident is encouraged to contact the Dinwiddie County Sheriff’s Office at (804) 469-4550 or Petersburg/Dinwiddie Crime Solvers at 861-1212.
- StormTracker8: Few Showers overnight; Storms tomorrow
- Shooting suspect accused of killing teen, wounding TikTok star in California theater charged with murder
- Lollapalooza requiring masks at indoor spaces on final 2 days of music festival
- Bear runs into Tennessee restaurant, the meanders along the sidewalk beside visitors
- Michael Che returns to Instagram after sharing ‘tasteless’ Simone Biles jokes on account