Driver in deadly I-95 bus crash to stay in Virginia for now

Local News

PRINCE GEORGE COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — The driver of a commercial bus that crashed on Interstate 95 in Prince George County on March 19, leaving two dead and dozens more injured, will remain in Virginia despite having his bond amended in court on Monday.

In court, the Commonwealth argued that 40-year-old Yui Man Chow should have his bond revoked due to his “lack of ties to the community and his likelihood to appear in court,” Prince George County Commonwealth’s Attorney Susan O’Prandy Fierro wrote in an email to 8News.   

The defense pushed for Mr. Chow, of Staten Island, New York, to be allowed to travel back home before his next hearing.

The court sided with the defense, allowing Chow, who has been ordered to wear a GPS device, to return to New York and to Philadelphia to see his attorney.

The Commonwealth appealed the ruling on Monday and Mr. Chow will remain in Virginia until his next hearing in Prince George Circuit Court on April 4 at 1 p.m. 

Chow is shown leaving court on Monday, March 25.

Chow appeared in court last week with his family; his brother served as his interpreter. A preliminary hearing has also been set for June 17 at 11 a.m. to determine if Chow should face the two counts of manslaughter that he has been charged with. 

The single-vehicle crash happened just before 5:30 a.m. near Crater Road. According to Virginia State Police, the Tao’s Travel Inc. bus overturned on the ramp to exit 45. The bus, carrying a total of 57 people — including the driver — was headed north on I-95 when it attempted to take the exit ramp, and ended up running off the left side of the ramp and overturned.

One person died at the scene, while another person died a few hours later at a nearby hospital, according to state police. Police on Wednesday identified one of the passengers as 81-year-old Janetta Cumberbatch, of Jamaica, New York.

Police identified the second deceased passenger as Su Feng Xu, 37. He is a Chinese national and his address is unknown. 

The remaining passengers were treated at area hospitals for injuries ranging from minor to serious. 

The bus departed from Orlando, Florida. It had stopped in Rocky Mount, North Carolina, to switch drivers and was continuing north to its final destination in New York City when the crash occurred, according to state police. 

Stay with 8News for updates. 

Find 8News on TwitterFacebook, and Instagram; send your news tips to

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

StormTracker 8

Trending Stories

More Trending Stories

Local Events