2 women suffer burns, 5 displaced in Henrico kitchen fire

Henrico County
Capturegat_1560549090522.JPG

HENRICO COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — Two women were hurt and sent to the hospital Friday after a cooking-related fire in Henrico County. Firefighters responded to a home in the East End of the county, the 500 block of Glinhurst Road, for reports of a fire a little after 5 p.m. 

When crews arrived in the area they located two people who were burned and an active fire outside the home and in the kitchen. The victims were treated immediately and both fires were extinguished. 

The fire reportedly started when an unattended pot caught on fire while on the stove. Without a working smoke alarm, the residents were not immediately aware of the fire. The two women hurt in the fire noticed the fire and attempted to take it out of the home. Henrico Fire said this led the women to be hurt and helped spread the fire. 

The victims, one woman in her 40s and another in her 30s, were sent to VCU Medical Center. The woman in her 40s suffered “significant burns on the lower portion of her body,” according to Henrico Fire. The other victim suffered minor burns, authorities said. 

The Red Cross plans to assist the three adults and two children displaced by the fire. 

Find 8News on TwitterFacebook, and Instagram; send your news tips to iReport8@wric.com.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Richmond Headlines

More Richmond

Chesterfield Headlines

More Chesterfield County

Henrico Headlines

More Henrico County

Hanover Headlines

More Hanover County

The Tri-Cities Headlines

More The Tri-Cities

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Local Events