HENRICO COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — Henrico County has a new Spelling Bee champion!
Ananya Nanduru, of Moody Middle School, won the division-wide spelling bee by correctly spelling the word “breviary,” meaning the book of daily hymns and prayers.
The seventh-grader was one of 57 spelling bee champions featured from county elementary and middle schools.
Pocahontas Middle School sixth-grader Weston Kasberger was runner-up.
Up next for Nanduru: competing in the regional spelling bee tournament on March 21 at the Library of Richmond. The winner will advance to the Scripps National Spelling Bee, which is held in late May and televised by ESPN.
- Chesterfield firefighters battle multi-family blaze on Strathmore Road overnight
- Officer murdered after man denied entry for not wearing a mask
- LIVE: Trump speaks at CPAC in first post-White House appearance
- VCU fraternity suspended following the death of an 18-year-old freshman
- Virginia General Assembly finalizes energy assistance program for low-income residents