HENRICO COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — Police said a man was shot and killed in a Henrico neighborhood on Wednesday morning. An investigation led to the arrest of a 61-year-old suspect.
Police responded to the 1500 block of Edenburry Drive at 8:45 a.m. for reports of a shooting in the area. Authorities initially said they were not looking for any suspects but later confirmed an arrest had been made.
Randolph Eugene Smith, a 61-year-old man living in the area, was arrested and charged with second-degree murder, Henrico police said.
Smith appeared in court via video conference on Thursday morning. In court, 8News learned the man Smith is accused of killing is his stepson, later identified as 40-year-old Neil Matthew Waters of Henrico.
An investigation is underway. Smith, who was denied bond, will appear in court on Nov. 8.
Stay with 8News for updates on this developing story.
- StormTracker 8: Sunny skies and pleasant today
- VIDEO: Woman hit with blender at McDonald’s after complaining about food
- World’s largest treehouse burns down in Tennessee
- 1 injured in crash involving Chesterfield school bus, tractor-trailer
- FBI: Vigilant parents can help stop national child porn epidemic