Family of three without a home after Henrico house fire

Henrico County

HENRICO COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — A family of three is without a home after a fire tore through their house Wednesday morning.

One of the people who lived inside tells 8News the fire started from a cooking mistake.

“I heard him scream,” Adonijah Hill said of his son. “I ran out and saw a flame coming out of the grease.”

It didn’t take long to spread.

“So fast, so fast,” Hill said. “I was only in the bathroom for three or four minutes.” 

Minutes earlier, Hill said he turned on a burner to make a pot of tea. It was the wrong burner, however. When he returned to the kitchen, he found a massive fire after heat from the burner had ignited with some grease on the stove.

“I would never ever turn the grease on to a high on purpose so it was just that simple mistake of turning the wrong burner on, which I’ve done quite a few times,” Hill said. “But I’m always there.” 

Hill lives on the 2500 block of Parrish Street with his mother and 10-year-old son. He tells me his family has already been through a lot. 

“My wife died…of a brain aneurysm about 4 years ago,” Hill said. “I have stage three brain cancer. So yeah, we’ll figure it out.”

Right now, Hill tells 8News he’s just trying to stay positive.

“No injuries,” he said. “We all got out safely, yeah.”

As for the family, they will be staying in a temporary home provided by the American Red Cross. They have not yet decided if they will rebuild. 

Find 8News on TwitterFacebook, and Instagram; send your news tips to iReport8@wric.com.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

StormTracker 8

Trending Stories

More Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Local Events