HENRICO COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — A Richmond man was charged Wednesday in an accidental fatal shooting that claimed the life of a 24-year-old from Henrico County just hours into the new year.
Henrico police responded to the 1400 block of Southbury Avenue after receiving a call about a shooting in the area around 4:30 a.m.
Authorities found a man, identified by police as 24-year-old Jayshon M. Brooks, suffering from a gunshot wound at the scene. Brooks was transported to VCU Medical Center where he died from his injuries, police said.
A suspect, later identified as 24-year-old Saveon Tyler, was arrested and charged with involuntary manslaughter, police said Wednesday.
Neighbors told 8News on Wednesday that a man in his late 20s or early 30s rents the home where the shooting reportedly occurred.
“I looked out my window and could see like 20, it felt like 20, police officers around,” Shawn Harper, a nearby resident, said. “It’s crazy. I feel like no where is safe, for real. I hope it was just some bad timing, wrong place at the wrong time hopefully. I hope there was nothing to it.”
A source told 8News that Brooks was living in the home where the shooting took place and that Tyler and Brooks were friends.
- Gibbs scores with 0.1 seconds left, Irish beat BC 62-61
- Hughes scores 25, Syracuse blows out Pittsburgh 72-49
- Clark’s 3-pointer lifts Virginia past Virginia Tech, 56-53
- Local law enforcement reacts to Orlando 6-year-olds taken away in handcuffs: ‘It’s inexcusable’
- Pierre scores 21 to lift UMass past VCU 60-52