HENRICO COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — External demolition of the portion of Virginia Center Commons planned for the new Henrico Indoor Sports and Convocation Center is underway as of Monday, according to county officials.
Demolition inside the part of the mall that is owned by Henrico County began in November by the construction company Rebkee, the company that also owns the land that the mall sits on.
A portion of the mall will remain standing with active tenants such as Bath & Body Works, JC Penney, Foot Locker and more.
Rebkee is handling the construction of the new building, which is expected to be 200,000 sq. ft. and will cost around $50 million to complete.
As of Tuesday, the demolition of the mall on the Henrico-owned land is now visible to passersby.
Construction is expected to be completed by August 2022.
- First look inside: Resorts World to open in Las Vegas
- SCOTUS rules in favor of former Pennsylvania cheerleader in freedom of speech case
- Petersburg High School holding vaccination event on Thursday
- Henrico officer-involved shooting causes traffic problems Wednesday
- Blink-182’s Mark Hoppus announces cancer diagnosis: ‘It sucks and I’m scared’