HENRICO COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — A juvenile was taken to hospital with critical injuries Monday after a shooting in eastern Henrico County.
According to a tweet from Henrico police, officers are in the 300 block of Exmore Court after receiving reports of a shooting in the area.
“Detectives are in the preliminary stages of a shooting investigation where a juvenile victim has been transported with critical injuries,” police said in the tweet.
A woman claiming to be the victim’s grandmother told 8News’ Tyler Thrasher that the child is 3-years-old and was shot while sleeping in her mother’s bed. A close family friend told 8News’ Alex Thorson that the child, who has cerebral palsy, was shot in the back.
A man who lives in the apartment complex, Brian Pearson, told 8News he saw at least two men shooting multiple rounds at each other outside of the toddler’s home.
“I don’t know the little girl but I do see her out here playing. She’s got a good father, family, they be out here cooking out. It just sucks that it had to happen to them because they don’t bother nobody,” Pearson said. “I just want to pray that everybody can do better, man, because we gotta do better as a whole.”
An investigation into the shooting is underway as Henrico police search for the suspects involved. The family friend told 8News the toddler is awake and recovering, saying it sounds like she will survive.
- StormTracker 8: Fog returns with more clouds tonight
- Commission to mute microphones in next presidential debate
- Pres. Trump, Joe Biden in dead heat in Georgia, NewsNation/Emerson poll shows
- Park Police officers indicted in death of unarmed Virginia man out on bail
- Stimulus update: Pelosi, Mnuchin ‘narrow differences’ ahead of House speaker’s Tuesday deadline