HENRICO COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — A pedestrian is in critical condition after being struck in Short Pump Thursday evening.
According to police, the pedestrian-versus-vehicle crash occurred at the intersection of W. Broad Street at Spring Oak Drive just before 10 p.m. Arriving officers found one person, an adult male, in critical condition. That person was taken to a nearby hospital for further medical treatment.
Police add that the vehicle involved remained at the scene. Drivers are asked to seek alternate routes. A crash investigation team remains on site.
A witness at the scene of the crash explained to 8News that she was pumping gas when she “heard a really loud thud and scraping noise.”
Ashley White, 32, of Henrico, says she thought the sound was from the gas pump but when she exited the Shell gas station and turned onto Broad Street, that’s when she saw the horrific scene.
“I could hear the driver screaming hysterically, ‘I didn’t see them, they came out of nowhere.'”
White adds that the accident happened just before the entrance of the Short Pump-area Barnes and Noble.
As her voice cracked, White told 8News, “I just hope the person is OK. I really hope he is OK.”
This is a developing story. Stay with 8News for updates.
- Section of Henrico road, flooded after Isaias, to remain closed as crews inspect bridge
- Facebook’s Henrico Data Center is now online. Here’s what that means
- 24M Americans fear they won’t be able to pay rent
- Chesterfield secures additional 30M in federal COVID-19 relief funding
- Chesterfield Police seek Walgreens robbery suspects