HENRICO COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — An 11-year-old was transported to the hospital with critical injuries following a shooting Monday night in Henrico County.
According to authorities, the shooting took place in the area of 4600 block of Lakefield Mews Pl. Police said they arrived on the scene around 10:30 p.m. and found the child suffering from critical injuries.
8News spoke with an eyewitness who said they heard 7 to 10 rapid gunshots. The man did not want to share his full name as a safety precaution.
“I rounded the corner and found the victim on his back, laying there. I held his name briefly and got him to say his name,” they said. “I heard an adult man very distressed saying they shot him, there’s no reason.”
At this time, the motive or specific nature of the crime has not been released. Police do not believe the young boy was the intended target.
Neighbor watch Josephine Hill said she does not recall a shooting like this taking place in her 20 years of living in the area.
“It’s always the case. Somebody gets shot in the middle of something else. My heart goes out to the family,” said Hill.
Hill’s grandson said he heard a commotion outside, but did not realize the severity at the time. He said, “It did concern me. I didn’t realize it was gunshots, I thought it was fireworks.”
At this time, police have not released a description for the suspect(s).
Neighbors hope investigators catch the shooter. The eyewitness said, “They should definitely be in jail.”
Anyone with information about this case is asked to call Metro Richmond Crime Stoppers 780-1000.
- Now available: McDonald’s adds 3 items to its menu
- Crash closes all westbound, eastbound lanes on E. Hundred Road in Chesterfield
- Photos: See the Halloween display so realistic police have been called twice
- INSIDE LOOK: Undocumented Honduran woman, children living in sanctuary at Richmond Unitarian Universalist Church
- ‘The joke is on us’: Woman in Borat movie thought it was legit documentary