RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — The Jefferson Cup, a large youth soccer tournament that brings thousands of people to the Richmond area each year, canceled this weekend’s events on Thursday morning due to concerns over the coronavirus.
Steve D’Adamo, director of tournaments, said they are currently reaching out to teams, partners, families, players and clubs around the country about this development.
This Saturday and Sunday would have been the tournament’s the “Girls Weekend.” The cup’s four weekends have hosted about 500 teams a year for the past four years, according to its website.
Organizers said Friday they are also canceling the Girls Showcase, scheduled for March 20-22, and Boys Showcase Weekend, scheduled for March 27-29, on Tuesday.
For more information about the tournament click here.
- Virginia rocket launch may be visible for most of East Coast and as far west as Ohio
- Bar Rescue’s Jon Taffer: ‘I’m not certain a lot of bars will survive this’
- ‘It’s just one big family’: VCU grads, students bring virtual ‘summer camp’ to life for advertising students
- Here’s how to file for a tax extension
- Cooking accident causes apartment fire in Colonial Heights