HENRICO COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — Henrico residents are remembering their neighborhood handyman, after a fire Friday night.
Emergency crews were called to the 300 block of Bobbiedell Lane, in Henrico’s West End, around 10 p.m. for a house fire. Firefighters saw heavy smoke coming from the second floor of the home. When they did a search, firefighters said they found a dead man.
8News spoke with the victims brother on scene, who identified the man as 60-year-old Douglas Morecock. Although Morecock’s brother didn’t want to go on camera, Ero Spears, a long-time neighbor, recalled the moment her family heard the news.
“Very shocking,” Spears said. “My whole family is shocked. I couldn’t believe it. I thought about it was just a plain fire. But, I found out it wasn’t a plain fire.”
Spears said Morecock lived in the home his entire life and was always there to lend a helping hand.
“He helped me – I live by myself,” Spears said “He looks out for me, ya know? I thanked him all the time. He would watch my dog, watch my car. He’s a good man.”
Family members told 8News Morecock worked for the GRTC Bus System as a forman and was always into his tools.
Spears said she now has to pass by the house wondering how this tragedy happened.
“He was a good friend,” Spears said. “He was a good boy. We need to know what was going on with him inside.”
Henrico Police and the Fire Marshall’s Office are investigating.