RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — Two women suffered burns after a fire spread in a duplex this morning.
According to Richmond Fire Department, the duplex fire was in the 3200 block of 5th Avenue. Neighbors called 911 and the first unit arrived on the scene at 5:57 a.m.
Firefighters found heavy black smoke and fire on the first and second floor as well as the roof. The fire spread from the duplex to a house next door on the left. The house on the right of the duplex suffered exposure.
A mother and daughter were inside the duplex that caught fire. They were able to get out on their own but both suffered burns.
Richmond Fire Public Information Officer Amy Vu told 8News the mother had serious injuries and is still in the hospital. The other woman, her daughter, was treated out of precaution and doesn’t have any injuries.
Four people living in the house on the left of the duplex were forced out of their home. Fire crews spent the morning looking for two dogs that were unaccounted for. They later announced the two dogs had died in a Facebook post.
Vu confirmed that there were no working smoke detectors in the duplex at the time of the fire.
An investigation is underway. Stay with us for updates.