RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — A Richmond high school basketball coach is charged with sexual battery, according to city officials.
Willard J. Coker, 62, is the George Wythe High School boy’s basketball coach and in-school suspension assistant, according to the school’s website. Coker has been a coach at George Wythe since 2012 after being apart of the Virginia Union University basketball program since 1980 as a player.
According to online court documents, the misdemeanor sexual battery offense occurred on Dec. 5. The complaint was filed by a female.
Coker was charged with sexual battery on Jan. 8, arrested on Jan. 9, later arraigned on Jan 10, and was released that same day on his own recognizance.
Spokespersons from both the city’s police department and public schools said the incident is under investigation.
This is a developing story. Stay with 8News for updates.
- Amelia schools closed, Buckingham schools virtual Thursday ahead of Zeta remnants
- Second stimulus checks: What’s the status of $1,200 payments?
- President Trump’s attacks around Joe Biden’s son explained
- Hurricane Zeta makes landfall in Louisiana with the remains of the storm here Thursday
- StormTracker 8: Weather Aware on Thursday for the remains of Zeta