Man living in shed dies in Tuesday morning fire on Richmond’s Northside

Richmond

RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — The Richmond Fire Department said a man living in a shed died in a fire in the City’s Northside this morning.

The department said crews responded to multiple reports of a shed fire at 3606 Maryland Avenue just after 7:30 a.m. on Dec. 14. When they arrived, firefighters saw heavy smoke and flames coming from a shed behind the home.

After entering the shed, first responders recovered the body of a man. He was pronounced dead at the scene at 7:40 a.m. The department said the victim lived in the shed and they believe the fire was an accident and caused by a kerosene heater he used to keep warm.

Crews put out the fire and cleared the shed for investigation. The incident was marked under control at 8:45 a.m. and there was no extended damage done to the house.

The Medical Examiner’s Office is working to confirm the man’s identity, but 8News spoke with the victim’s niece and nephew who said the victim’s name is Byron Lewis.

They said Lewis was a friendly man who did handiwork around the neighborhood, such as mowing lawns. Lewis’s nephew said his uncle would go back and forth between staying in the shed and the woods.

Richmond Fire said this is the ninth fatal fire incident and 12th fire fatality in the city so far this year.

This is a developing story, stay with 8News for updates.

shed fire Richmond's northside
(Photo: Nicole Dantzler)

Copyright 2022 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

More Trending Stories

Local Events