RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — Richmond Police Chief Gerald Smith said a man shot and killed by two officers in the city’s East End on Sunday night ignored commands to drop his gun and pointed the weapon at the officers before the shooting.

Officers responded to the 1200 block of Garber Street, between Scott and Arcadia Streets, at 10:43 p.m. Sunday for a report of an “unknown armed individual” at a residence in the area, according to police.

Chief Smith said at a press conference Monday that the man, only described by police as a white adult male, was armed with a handgun on someone’s porch.

Smith said the man refused to drop the gun and pointed the weapon at the officers before being shot. Smith added that it is not clear at this time why the man was on the person’s porch, and have not identified any connection between the homeowner and the man.

“The officers gave repeated commands for him to drop the weapon,” Smith told reporters. “He did not and that’s when the officers fired their firearms.”

It is unknown whether the man tried to fire his weapon, but Smith said the investigation should determine whether he did and that his gun was loaded. Police believe both officers, who are on administrative leave, fired their guns.

The man, who has not yet been identified, was sent to a local hospital where he later died from his injuries, police said. An investigation into the shooting is ongoing.

The officers involved were identified by Smith as Richard Redford, who has been with the department since 2011, and Shannon McGarva, who has been with the department since 2017.

“Our prayers are with the suspect’s family at this time, as well as with the officers who are going through this dramatic and traumatic incident in their careers,” the police chief said.

During a press conference Monday, Smith said authorities are reviewing the officers’ body-worn camera footage, security video from the area and have taken statements from the officers and homeowner.

“Incidents like this seem to happening all over the country towards officers. This gentleman seemed to have did something that precipitated a call to the police, that precipitated a 911 call and became aggressive upon the officers getting there,” Smith said. “You may even call it an ambush. It’s very possible, but we have no idea right now exactly what his actions were but we do know his aggression went up upon the officers’ arrival.”