RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — Virginia State Police and their families gathered Thursday to honor public safety professionals who have given the ultimate sacrifice in their service to the Commonwealth.
The 2019 Virginia State Police Officers’ Memorial Service was held Thursday.
During the service, special recognition was given in honor of Trooper Lucas B. Dowell, 28, who lost his life on Feb. 4 while helping conduct a drug raid in Cumberland County.
Trooper Dowell’s portrait was unveiled and dedicated before his family and fellow troopers. Doswell’s mother, father and sister attended the service and honored his memory. His mother couldn’t help but shed some tears when she saw the portrait of her son.
“It’s only been four months, almost to the day that our department gathered around Mike and Rebecca and Erica,” said Col. Gary Settle, the Virginia State Police superintendent.
It will be hung in the Colonel C.W. Woodson Jr. Memorial Gallery located within the Virginia State Police Academy. Doswell is remembered as not only just a hero but as an amazing friend. “It’s not easy. It doesn’t seem fair, but it’s not the end. Rest easy my friend, until we meet again,” Col. Settle said.
The service also recognized all of the department’s law enforcement professionals who have died in the line of duty, and included a special tribute to 12 troopers in which 2019 marks a significant milestone.
- 5 Years: Sergeant J. Michael Phillippi (2014 – Henry Co.)
- 20 Years: Trooper Daniel Lee Williams (1999 – Cumberland Co.)
- 30 Years: Trooper Jerry Lynn Hines (1989 – Rockbridge Co.)
- 35 Years: Sergeant James LeRoy Biggs (1984 – Alleghany Co.)
- 35 Years: Trooper Johnny Rush Bowman (1984 – City of Manassas)
- 45 Years: Trooper James Read Hughes (1974 – Fairfax Co.)
- 65 Years: Trooper Robert Louis Loder, Jr. (1954 – Hanover Co.)
- 65 Years: Trooper Robert Fulton Giles (1954 – Wise Co.)
- 80 Years: Sergeant Clarence Lemuel Maynard (1939 – Washington Co.)
- 85 Years: Trooper Charles Bazil Bullock (1934 – Fairfax Co.)
- 90 Years: Inspector Curtis Lee Wood (1929 – James City Co.)
- 90 Years: Inspector Phillip C. Via (1929 – Waynesboro) *Year & Location of Death
Each tribute included a single bell toll and an Honor Guard salute.