PETERSBURG, Va. (WRIC) — Petersburg police continue a death investigation after a body was found at the Petersburg Sports Complex by a man who was walking his dogs.
“I was asleep and my dad called me saying that he had brought the dogs down here for a walk and walked up on a body,” Tina Booker told 8News.
The active investigation is located at Birdsong Road and Johnson Road.
“It was real unusual because you don’t hear about stuff like that out here,” Booker said.
Police have not confirmed the identity of the victim, however Phyllis Smith told 8News she is the grandmother of the victim, who she says is Marcus Jones, 20, of Petersburg.
“He was a beautiful person, he worked. He had numerous jobs, he worked. He had a beautiful grandma that stuck with him after he lost his mother,” Smith said.
Smith said Jones, a graduate of Petersburg High School, was turning 21 on May 11.
“Very intelligent, he was great with computers,” Smith said.
Petersburg Police Captain Emmanuel Chambliss says no further information is being released at this time.
This is a developing story. Stay with 8News for updates.
- StormTracker 8: Windy & cooler today
- ¿Necesita una prueba de COVID-19 después del Día de Acción de Gracias?
- Need a COVID-19 test after Thanksgiving? Here’s where to get one in Richmond
- America’s growing debt crisis sparks concerns for future generations
- With two vaccine makers seeking approval, here’s when distribution could start in Virginia