HOPEWELL, Va. (WRIC) — Investigators say an inmate found unresponsive in his cell at the federal prison in Hopewell did not die of COVID-19.
The correction comes from the U.S. Department of Justice who says in a release that there are indications that the death of 41-year-old Shareef Muhammad was not the result of the coronavirus.
Muhammad was found in his cell at FCI Petersburg early Monday morning. Staff responded and called emergency crews immediately, who pronounced him dead.
Muhammad was in federal custody for various drug charges.
- Buildings damaged, glass shattered after protests in Richmond turn violent
- Goochland County School Board votes for virtual reopening plan
- Powhatan school board approves Confederate flag ban
- Second stimulus checks: Why $1,200 payments aren’t expected in August
- Police: Chesterfield man shot during robbery attempt, suspect on the run