Fire at Petersburg duplex leaves 4 without a home

The Tri-Cities
pburg fireeeee_1551446133947.JPG.jpg

PETERSBURG, Va. (WRIC) — Four people are without a home after a fire erupted inside a Petersburg duplex early Friday morning. 

The call for the fire at the duplex, located in the 400 block of Byrnes Street, came in around 7:15 a.m.

No injuries were reported in the blaze, Petersburg Fire said. One side of the duplex sustained major damage and the other apartment sustained some damage. 

Petersburg Fire attributed smoking as the cause of the fire.

Fire officials say a couch caught fire inside the apartment on the left side of the duplex. Residents tried to get the couch out the door, however, that caused the fire the flare up and spread to the other apartment. 

According to Petersburg Fire, the building will now be red-tagged and the homeowner will be given a deadline to fix the home. If it cannot be fixed in time, the house will be demolished, as officials claim it to be a hazard. Petersburg Fire also said there were no working smoke detectors inside the apartment. 

The Red Cross was called help the three people displaced who lived in the apartment where the fire started, and another person displaced from the other apartment in the duplex. 

Find 8News on TwitterFacebook, and Instagram; send your news tips to iReport8@wric.com.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Richmond Headlines

More Richmond

Chesterfield Headlines

More Chesterfield County

Henrico Headlines

More Henrico County

Hanover Headlines

More Hanover County

The Tri-Cities Headlines

More The Tri-Cities

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Local Events