HOPEWELL, Va. (WRIC) — Hopewell schools will welcome students back in August after Gov. Ralph Northam ordered all Virginia schools to be close due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The district approved an updated calendar for the 2020-2021 school year that “strikes a balance between slowing the opening of schools and preserving the year-round school model,” according to a Hopewell schools spokesperson.
Under the plan, which the school system is calling a “Balanced Calendar,” students will return Aug. 10 and teachers will return the week before.
“Hopewell will continue to have a Balanced Calendar with optional learning opportunities, called intersessions, in the Spring and Summer,” Faith Jones, a communications specialist for Hopewell schools, said in a release sent out Monday.
READ: Hopewell’s “Balanced Calendar” for the 2020-2021 school year
- Emergency crews respond to train derailment in Roanoke County
- Medical Reserve Corps volunteers to help out on Election Day with COVID-19 safety precautions
- Man missing from New Jersey found safe in Richmond area
- Williams scores 2 TDs, Notre Dame stifles Georgia Tech 31-13
- Wake Forest wins 4th straight, overpowering Syracuse 38-14