DINWIDDIE COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — A Petersburg man was killed in a crash Monday when his car ran off the road and struck trees while overturning multiple times in Dinwiddie County.
Virginia State Police responded to Flank Road on Dec. 9 at 2:48 p.m. for reports of a single vehicle crash with a confirmed fatality.
Police said Tuesday that an investigation revealed that a 2015 Buick was traveling south on Flank Road when it ran off the road while coming out of a curve. The vehicle hit trees and overturned several times.
The victim, later identified as 57-year-old James K. Starke, died at the scene after he was ejected from the vehicle, authorities said.
Starke was not wearing a seat belt at the time of the crash, according to police, and speed is being considered a factor in the deadly crash. An investigation is ongoing.
Stay with 8News for updates.
- StormTracker 8: Scattered thunderstorms; possible flash flooding
- Newsfeed Now: Man hangs off semi; Biden picks running mate
- Coronavirus update: Virginia’s COVID-19 cases rise by 776 on Wednesday
- Alaskan officials identified the killer in 1996 cold case murder of teenage girl; Arkansas suspect commits suicide
- Viral video shows man hanging off back of truck at high speeds in Colorado