PETERSBURG, Va. (WRIC) — Police are investigating two shootings in Petersburg Wednesday night that left two people dead.
It’s Petersburg’s 19th and 20th homicide of the year, surpassing last year’s total of 18.
According to Petersburg police’s Facebook page, the first shooting occurred in the first block of Cherry Street around 7:30 p.m. Authorities say one person was found shot in the road and later died at the hospital around 8 p.m.
Witnesses at the scene told 8News the man was shot in the head.
About two hours later, police responded to the Summit Pointe Apartments complex, in the area of Betty Court and Dunedin Drive, for another shooting.
Arriving officers found an unresponsive person in the hallway of an apartment building on Betty Court.
The shooting victim was taken to the hospital where he later died.
Captain Emanuel Chambliss told 8News the fatal shootings are disappointing given the efforts by police to curb violence.
“Just about every day, we’re taking guns off the streets, trying to make the streets safer,” he said. “We’re just asking the people who are out here committing the crimes to put the weapons down. It’s senseless.”
Anyone with information relative to the two shootings is asked to contact police at (804) 732-4222.
Stay with 8News for updates to this developing story.
- Amelia County Sheriff’s Office looking for driver who threw object at school bus
- ‘Our whole life was in there’; Hanover family loses everything after home reportedly set on fire
- Mom says daughter distraught after local dentist uses little-known ‘hand over mouth’ technique
- Barriers to medical marijuana industry are keeping some patients from benefiting, advocates say
- Pending approval, Richmond ready to give all three boosters, offer mixing-and-matching