SOUTH CHESTERFIELD, Va. (WRIC) — Crews with the Virginia Department of Transportation have been on the move since 8 a.m. Thursday morning preparing for a wintry weather mix in our area.
VDOT said crews began preparing equipment and pretreating interstate, primary, and high volume secondary routes in the southern portions of the district with a saltwater brine to prevent ice from bonding with the pavement.
At around 4 a.m., Friday morning, crews were mobilized to monitor any accumulation and slick conditions.
“Our biggest concern will be slick conditions for the Friday evening commute and overnight in our southernmost counties,” said Sean Nelson, Richmond District Maintenance Engineer. “We will also be watching closely for slick conditions Saturday morning. We are continuing to monitor forecasts in the district, and will adjust our response as conditions change.”
Drivers should travel with extra caution, slow down, and monitor the forecast in their area. Also, VDOT says to utilize the 511 tool to check road conditions before heading out.
Latest Weather Updates
- Showers and a few rumbles of thunder will be with us into the early afternoon. The benefit is the pollen levels will be down thanks to the rain. Unfortunately as the sunshine returns for everyone tomorrow, that pollen goes way up.
- Severe weather caused major damage in Bay County Saturday morning.
- Texas officials on Thursday raised the death toll from February's winter storm and blackouts to at least 111 people — nearly doubling the state's initial tally following one of the worst power outages in U.S. history.
- Forecasters are predicting another day of potentially dangerous and severe weather that could spawn tornados and storms throughout several Southern states Thursday.
- BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — Several areas in central Alabama are left damaged after severe storms made their way through the state Thursday. As of 6 p.m., five people have also been killed by the storms. All the victims have been in Calhoun County. Multiple cities have reported dozens of homes and buildings suffering significant damage. […]
- BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — Severe weather continues to move through Alabama Thursday afternoon with multiple tornadoes confirmed by the National Weather Service. Alabamians have been sending in videos to CBS 42 of the damage and dangerous weather. Please use caution when taking videos or photos of the storm. Circulation of a potential tornado in Pelham […]
- Deadly tornadoes roared through Alabama on Thursday, toppling trees, demolishing homes and knocking out power to thousands, part of a broad swath of violent weather sweeping across the Deep South. At least five fatalities and an unknown number of injuries were reported.
- Freezing rain is sometimes referred to as one of the worst forms of winter precipitation. So what is freezing rain? Rain that freezes on contact because surface temperatures are at or below freezing.
- Today's lesson will be about Heat Index. Long story short, the heat index is when humidity is high so it may feel warmer than what the actual temperature may read.
- The Petersburg Bureau of Police is asking residents to avoid certain roadways due to high water from the heavy rain.