SOUTH CHESTERFIELD, Va. (WRIC) — Crews with the Virginia Department of Transportation have been on the move since 8 a.m. Thursday morning preparing for a wintry weather mix in our area.
VDOT said crews began preparing equipment and pretreating interstate, primary, and high volume secondary routes in the southern portions of the district with a saltwater brine to prevent ice from bonding with the pavement.
At around 4 a.m., Friday morning, crews were mobilized to monitor any accumulation and slick conditions.
“Our biggest concern will be slick conditions for the Friday evening commute and overnight in our southernmost counties,” said Sean Nelson, Richmond District Maintenance Engineer. “We will also be watching closely for slick conditions Saturday morning. We are continuing to monitor forecasts in the district, and will adjust our response as conditions change.”
Drivers should travel with extra caution, slow down, and monitor the forecast in their area. Also, VDOT says to utilize the 511 tool to check road conditions before heading out.
Latest Weather Updates
- Brisk weather is on tap for the weekend to be followed by a rain on Monday and a chance of snow on Thursday
- A meteor was seen streaking across the skies in Central Virginia early this morning as captured on video by Charlotte Nelson.
- Bitter cold air is headed toward the United States over the second half of January.
- — Crews with the Virginia Department of Transportation have been on the move since 8 a.m. Thursday morning preparing for a wintry weather mix in our area.
- A Winter Storm will cross through the Carolinas tomorrow bringing the chance for a little light wintry weather into the metro Richmond area with a better chance down to our south. If you live north of the Richmond area you are going to miss out on this event.
- 25 years ago, Richmond was socked in with the “Blizzard of 1996” which marks the last time that a Blizzard Warning was issued for Metro Richmond.
- The National Weather Service confirmed two tornadoes touched down in Tehama County, a small region in Northern California, Monday afternoon.
- An 8News photographer ventured around the City of Richmond today capturing photos and videos. A quiet and sunny afternoon made for some great pictures of Christmas decorations downtown.
- HAMPTON ROADS, Va. (WAVY) – Severe weather conditions caused power outages, flooding and prompted tornado warnings throughout Hampton Roads Thursday night. It was also a rainy night across parts of Northeastern, North Carolina. VIRGINIA Damages & Aftermath 10 On Your Side's Meteorologist Steve Fundaro says that NWS confirmed a tornado touched down near Holland Road […]