RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — Early morning stargazers were treated to a beautiful sight. A meteor was seen streaking across the skies in Central Virginia early this morning as captured on video by Charlotte Nelson.
Nelson lives in Worthington Farms in Richmond’s Southside. She told 8News that she looked out her window at 5:38 a.m. and “saw the asteroid coming straight down…big and fiery.”
This meteor is believed to be part of the Quadrantids meteor shower which runs from December 28th through January 12th. The peak is typically January 2nd and 3rd but activity can be seen throughout that entire time.
Meteors are typically fainter and easy to miss however they can produce fireballs with great giant glowing tales like the one seen in Nelson’s video as they move across our sky. Also at this time of year, the weather is typically not favorable due to clouds or rain or snow that sometimes block our view of meteors.
The full list of the upcoming meteor showers can be found here.
Latest Weather Updates
- Brisk weather is on tap for the weekend to be followed by a rain on Monday and a chance of snow on Thursday
- A meteor was seen streaking across the skies in Central Virginia early this morning as captured on video by Charlotte Nelson.
- Bitter cold air is headed toward the United States over the second half of January.
- — Crews with the Virginia Department of Transportation have been on the move since 8 a.m. Thursday morning preparing for a wintry weather mix in our area.
- A Winter Storm will cross through the Carolinas tomorrow bringing the chance for a little light wintry weather into the metro Richmond area with a better chance down to our south. If you live north of the Richmond area you are going to miss out on this event.
- 25 years ago, Richmond was socked in with the “Blizzard of 1996” which marks the last time that a Blizzard Warning was issued for Metro Richmond.
- The National Weather Service confirmed two tornadoes touched down in Tehama County, a small region in Northern California, Monday afternoon.
- An 8News photographer ventured around the City of Richmond today capturing photos and videos. A quiet and sunny afternoon made for some great pictures of Christmas decorations downtown.
- HAMPTON ROADS, Va. (WAVY) – Severe weather conditions caused power outages, flooding and prompted tornado warnings throughout Hampton Roads Thursday night. It was also a rainy night across parts of Northeastern, North Carolina. VIRGINIA Damages & Aftermath 10 On Your Side's Meteorologist Steve Fundaro says that NWS confirmed a tornado touched down near Holland Road […]