WILLIAMSBURG, Va. (WAVY) — An 18-year-old driver was medevaced with serious injuries after crashing into a VDOT truck Tuesday morning in York County, just outside of Williamsburg.
Authorities blocked off all lanes at Merrimac Trail and Armstrong Drive, in Carver Gardens, to allow for a helicopter to land, per the York-Poquoson Sheriff’s Office.
Virginia State Police say the two-vehicle crash happened around 8:30 a.m. The preliminary investigation showed a Chevrolet Blazer driven by the 18-year-old was heading west on Merrimac Trail when it drifted into the eastbound lanes, striking the VDOT sign repair truck head-on. The crash caused the VDOT truck to go into a ditch and overturn.
The driver of the VDOT received non life-threatening injuries and the driver of the Blazer was flown for treatment of life-threatening injuries.
No other information has been released, as police say this is an active investigation. Check back for updates.
- Va. NAACP on Chauvin verdict: it’s a step toward rebuilding trust between police and Black community
- Kristin Smart’s body was once buried in yard of home owned by suspect’s dad: Court docs
- Las Vegas Raiders receive backlash for tweet on Chauvin verdict
- Global carbon emissions decreased by 6.4% amid COVID pandemic
- Family identifies 16-year-old girl killed in Ohio police shooting