FARMVILLE, Va., (WRIC) — A 19-year-old has been charged after a shooting in the parking lot of a Farmville McDonald’s put nearby Longwood University on lockdown for nearly two hours Sunday night.
According to police, officers were called to the fast-food restaurant, located at 308 South Main Street, shortly after 9 p.m. for reports of shots fired. They found two parked vehicles that had been struck by bullets, though no injuries were reported.
Witnesses told police that they saw several males running on South Main Street. While canvassing the area, 19-year-old Javon Brooks was found hiding in a wooded area off Putney Street with a handgun, police said.
The 19-year-old was detained and charged with carrying a concealed weapon and reckless handling of a firearm. He is being held without bond at Piedmont Regional Jail.
An alert was sent to Longwood University students at around 9:30 p.m. The university remained on lockdown until approximately 11:10 p.m.
Officers from Longwood University Police Department, Hampden Sydney College Police Department, Prince Edward County Sheriff’s Office and Virginia State Police assisted Farmville Police in the investigation, which remains ongoing.
Anyone who may have information about this incident is encouraged to contact the Farmville Police Department immediately at 434-392-9259.
- Petersburg police looking for a suspicious person seen wandering around with shotgun
- StormTracker 8: Windy & cooler today
- Baby gibbon at zoo startles live TV crew as mom rappels from above
- Newsfeed Now: A look ahead at the President-elect’s economic advisers, and a nurse shares her personal fight with COVID-19 and cancer
- LIVE: President-elect Biden introduces team of economic advisers