RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — He was a champion on the tennis court but also a champion in his fight for Civil Rights — and next week the City of Richmond is set to host a multi-day celebration for one of its most famous, native sons.
The highlight of the celebration for ‘Arthur Ashe Boulevard’ includes the official dedication of a street named in his honor.
Ashe’s nephew told 8News this is much bigger than his uncle’s legacy. He said it’s a moment he’s been waiting on for a long time to help carry on his family’s name, and the trails his uncle blazed for a new generation.
“Even though it’s just a street renaming, it’s bigger than that,” David Harris said. “It shows the youth we have the opportunity to change and re-engineer our society.
“A great part of it is our opportunity to tell our own story historically. Tell it apart from just his accolades.”
The official dedication and street unveiling ceremony will be held on Saturday, June 22, at 11 a.m. at the Virginia Museum of History & Culture. There will be two days of events leading up to the official unveiling.
- Arthur Ashe Boulevard Social Justice Forum, Thursday, June 20, 7-9 p.m., Virginia Museum of Fine Arts – Learn about social justice and find out how it was part of Arthur Ashe’s legacy.
- Arthur Ashe Boulevard Tennis Under the Lights Event & Movies at the Park, Friday, June 21, 6-9 p.m., Byrd Park – Join local tennis organizations in celebration of Ashe’s sport; stick around for an evening of movies and other festivities.
- Arthur Ashe Boulevard Kick-off Celebration & Bowling Party, Friday, June 21, 7 p.m. to midnight, River City Roll – Enjoy kids and family bowling night (7-9 p.m.) as well as live music (9 p.m. to midnight) at this Scott’s Addition bowling alley along Arthur Ashe Boulevard. Donations suggested.
- Arthur Ashe Boulevard Unveiling Ceremony & Exhibition Opening, Saturday, June 22, 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Virginia Museum of History & Culture – Join us as we make history with the City of Richmond; city, state, and national dignitaries will officially unveil the re-named Boulevard.
- Arthur Ashe Boulevard Community Celebration, Saturday, June 22, 1-5 p.m., Arthur Ashe Jr. Athletic Center – Celebrate with the community and participate in sponsored tennis clinics for kids and adults.
- Arthur Ashe Boulevard After-Party, Saturday, June 22, 8-11 p.m., The Graduate Richmond: the official Arthur Ashe Boulevard Celebration host – Cap off three days of excitement around Arthur Ashe and the City of Richmond.